Scott started school officially and it’s been going rather well! We’ve
had absolutely horrible experiences with SLCC, which is why it’s taken so long
for him to finish. But considering our past, so far things are going very well.
He seems to be enjoying his classes and we’re just excited to be moving forward
again!
Carson keeps growing! He’s such a sweet little man and I can’t believe
how much he changes from day to day! He’s become much more interested in toys
and grabbing objects – he grabs my hair a lot (and he has a very strong grip!)
and I really need to be careful about my earrings. He also has this
monkey/blanket combo thing that he loves to chew on and hold! He’s fallen
asleep cuddling it several times and it just makes my heart go “Awwwwwwww!”. He’s
becoming quite the talker too! He’ll just sit there and blabber in his adorable
baby talk, looking you straight in the eye like he’s telling you something very
important. And there’s no end to his gummy smile! He’s very ticklish too! We’re
working on getting a full giggle out of him – right now he’ll laugh a little
but it’s mostly really high pitched squeals because he can’t quite figure out
how to get that laugh out! But he’s close!
MILESTONE ALERT!
On August 29th Carson rolled over for the first time! I actually took work off because I had a migraine that was making me really sick. After I went back to bed for another four/five hours, I woke up feeling much better. Scott said the day before that Carson was getting close to rolling over, so I thought we’d try some tummy time to see what he did. Maybe after a minute he just rolled right over! We were both kind of surprised but really excited! He still gets a little scared of it, but he’s getting the hang of it! He’s making progress towards rolling from the front to the back too – it’ll be awhile longer but we’re keeping a close eye on him and making sure not to leave him alone on the bed etc. just in case!
On Wednesday August 28th Scott and I were invited to return
to our old ward to be on a dating panel for my old YW’s. I was the first
counselor in the YW’s before we moved and it was SO fun to go back and see them
all! They’re such amazing girls and I miss them sooooo much! It was really a
lot of fun being on the dating panel too. They had some wonderful questions and
we had some great discussions together! Carson was pretty tired and hungry
through the whole thing, so I was walking around, trying to rock him to sleep
and I did have to take him out to feed him at one point, but it was still fun!
And the girls seemed to enjoy seeing Carson. He has an infectious smile! And
now I’m kicking myself because I didn’t get any pictures…so I guess I’ll have
to go visit again and get some!
I have a really good friend named Nicole I used to work with. She left
our company close to a year ago, but we’ve kept in contact and still try to get
together once a month or so. After having Carson our monthly get togethers were
put on hold as I tried to learn how to be a mom. But this past Saturday (August
31st) we were finally able to hang out! She and her husband recently
bought a house in Kaysville, so since Scott works Saturday mornings up in
Layton, Carson and I rode up with him. Nicole and I met up for breakfast around
8:30 at Kneaders (YUM), then we drove to see her new house! They just
closed on it that week, so there wasn’t furniture yet, but it’s a beautiful
home and I’m so excited for them to make it their own! (again, no pictures!) It
really made me want a house, but we’re still a ways away from that. Someday
though!
And lastly, a rant about thieves, the dregs of society.
When you think about it, pretty much every crime is
thievery. Stealing (obviously), but what about assault? Abuse? Rape? Murder?
They’re all stealing something. Health, well-being, happiness, heaven forbid
stealing something as precious as someone’s virginity or self-worth or even their
life.
My in-laws were robbed on Tuesday the 27th with four of us at home. Scott, Carson and I
were downstairs taking a nap while my father-in-law was outside in the backyard
mowing the lawn. Because he was doing yard work, he had the garage door open to
have easy access to the necessary tools to accomplish said job. While he was
mowing he noticed a white pick-up truck going slowly by the house. He didn’t
think too much of it until a few minutes later when a neighbor came running
back yelling that he’d been robbed.
She saw the white truck with one guy in it and another guy
going through the garage. From her house, she thought he was talking to my
sister in law, until she came closer and saw him alone, moving back behind the
boat, rummaging through things. When she confronted them they tried to claim
they were buddies of my father-in-law, borrowing a few things. When she
contradicted them, saying she knows my father-in-law and doubts they were
friends of his, they turned rather nasty, using language that simply shouldn’t
be allowed in any civilized society. See, my father-in-law is a very hard
working, upstanding man who doesn’t run around with punks wearing pants sagging
down to their knees, cigarettes hanging from their dirty mouths that spew foul
words as easily as they breath (maybe easier), and rummage through people’s
garages looking for easy items to steal and most likely later sell - so you can
see why she had a hard time believing they were buddies of his.
Our neighbor ran back to get her phone so she could take a
picture of the guys. They didn’t have a front license plate (illegal where I
live), so rather than turn around so she could get a picture of the back of the
truck, they backed up all the way to the end of the street (dangerous since
there are children in this neighborhood) and then tore down the street once
they reached the end.
They got away with a weed whacker. It was worth around $300.
When you think about it, a lot more could have been lost. The guy was going to
steal a mountain bike worth around $1,200 but thanks to our neighbor
intervening they didn’t get a chance to grab that too – though he did pull it
off the wall mount. He even could have easily entered the house through the
garage entrance. With us sleeping downstairs and my father-in-law outside he
probably could have made off with a lot. He could have even hurt someone, like
my son.
So when you really think about it, we were lucky to only
have lost a weed whacker. Another neighbor actually lost one last Saturday out
of his garage and in another city they’ve had the same sort of robberies going
on.
Some might argue it was our own fault for leaving the garage
door open. To that I’d say isn’t it sad that we as a society have dwindled so
far as to being forced to keep all doors shut and locked DURING THE DAY WHEN
WE’RE AT HOME AND OUTSIDE in order to avoid being victims of entitled fools who
think they have some perverse right to our hard earned items? How about instead
of shaming the victims, we persecute the criminals?
It makes me sick to my stomach to think there are people
like these two punks out there. Who have no qualms over stealing from someone
else. What kind of generation are we raising? I know my parents raised me to be
hard working. To earn what I want/need. I know that in order to achieve my
goals, I have to work for them – I don’t expect things to just be handed to me.
Why do you think I go to a job I hate every day? Because I’m working hard to
build a better future for me and my family and I don’t expect anyone else to do
that except me and my husband. But I’m noticing more and more people are
expecting to have everything in life handed to them. We all want instant
gratification, rather than the gratification over a job well done. Apparently
it makes some people believe if they want something, they can simply take it.
But on the other hand, thank goodness for good neighbors
watching out for one another. It didn’t take long for word to spread to keep
eyes out for the truck and to keep garage/house doors closed/locked. This is a
close neighborhood and most people leave their garages open. I suppose we needed a reminder that there’s
both good and bad in this world and it’s up to us to watch out for ourselves
and each other.
You can’t control a person’s actions, but you can control
how you react. Some might say what we lost can be replaced, but we were
violated on a personal level too. It’ll take time to get over that feeling of
violation and mistrust. But eventually we will, and we’ll learn from this
experience and use it to better ourselves and our society. We’ll remember the
help we received, the support from neighbors, and to be more vigilant in doing
our part to keep our neighborhood safe.
And yes, we’ll be keeping the garage door closed from now on
too.








No comments:
Post a Comment