We had a checkup with Dr. Brown and nothing had changed - so nothing new from that day to report. Our week was pretty quiet except we did go down to my parent’s house Thursday evening (11/10/11) to celebrate Koltyr’s birthday!
On 11/11/11, Scott and I got up nice and early and headed to Primary Children’s Medical Center for Baby’s Echocardiogram. I’ve never been there before, so it was different going to an appointment where they have play places and Xbox 360’s in the waiting room for the kids. I say for the kids, but it attracted far more dad’s than children – even Scott hahah. He thinks every doctor’s office needs to have an Xbox 360 in their waiting rooms!
The exam itself was fairly simple – I lay on a bed while the tech took lots and lots of ultrasound scans of Baby’s heart. It took around 30-45 minutes I believe. Poor Scott got extremely tired sitting in the dark room and nearly fell asleep. Even though I was on a nice, hard bed, I was far too uncomfortable to even think about sleeping lol. I had to flip onto my side eventually because my back started to hurt and I got really lightheaded. But it was amazing to see his heart up close and to watch the tech push the buttons that brought up the different colors indicating blood flow and everything. I’m awed by what technology we have nowadays. And his heart rate was in the 160 range the entire time – which is great!
After the ultrasound, we met with a fetal cardiologist – Dr. Pinto. Yes like the bean lol. And she told us she couldn’t find any defects. As far as she could tell, his heart was perfectly normal other than some enlargement on the right side, but that is due to the fluid putting pressure on his heart. Of course it is a small structure and there are some oddities they might not spot until he’s older, but that’s good news as of now. She said she couldn’t see anything that alarmed her at that point – everything was functioning as it should. They want to see us again for another fetal-echo to see if anything has changed and to see how his heart is holding up under the pressure. They are basically watching for heart failure. Which is scary. We set up an appointment for four weeks later – 12/9/11 – and left feeling slightly hopeful that we had at least another 4 weeks with our little man.
Here are the lyrics to a song that I've found to be particularly helpful the past little while. Its a rather well-known one, but powerful all the same. 8)
Here are the lyrics to a song that I've found to be particularly helpful the past little while. Its a rather well-known one, but powerful all the same. 8)
I thought I did what's right,
I thought I had the answers;
I thought I chose the surest road.
But that road brought me here.
So I put up a fight
And told you how to help me
And just when I have given up
The truth’s coming clear
For You know better than I;
You know the way.
I've let go the need to know why,
For You know better than I.
If this has been a test,
I cannot see the reason.
But maybe knowing
I don't know is part of getting through.
I tried to do what's best;
And faith has made it easy.
To see the best thing I can do
Is to put my trust in You.
For, You know better than I;
You know the way.
I've let go the need to know why,
For You know better than I.
I saw one cloud and thought it was a sky.
I saw a bird and thought that I could follow.
But it was You who taught that bird to fly.
If I let You reach me,
Will You teach me?
For, You know better than I;
You know the way.
I've let go the need to know why.
I'll take what answers you supply.
You know better than I.
I wish i was near you... =[
ReplyDeleteI'd give you a crap load of hugs! I sooo miss my shay! ug... i'm jealous of your friends hehe cuz they can see you regularly and i havent seen u in...... uh.... a billion years!!!